Hunter Emerick focuses his practice on business litigation and related areas. He concentrates on resolving disputes involving construction law and litigation; real property, including condemnation; ownership and operation of corporations, LLCs, and partnerships; business sales; estate and trust administration; and other complex litigation. Hunter is licensed to practice in both Oregon and Washington and the federal courts in Oregon. He is AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbel®.
Hunter assists developers, design professionals, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in negotiating and drafting various agreements concerning development and construction. He provides advice and guidance to construction clients on issues concerning contract performance, insurance coverage, lien rights and remedies, and construction defects. Hunter has served as an Associate Member of the Board of Directors for the Home Builders Association of Marion and Polk Counties. He served as Associate Vice President for that organization. He has presented several construction-related seminars for members of the HBA. He has also represented clients in construction disputes, including:
- Defending general contractors against breach of contract and construction defect claims by homeowners
- Defending engineers against negligence claims by homeowners
- Defending material suppliers against environmental claims brought by DEQ
- Defending subcontractors against prevailing wage claims brought by BOLI
- Representing contractors in breach of contract claims against other contractors
Real Property Litigation
Hunter has appeared in courts throughout the state representing landlords. He successfully prosecuted a three-day jury trial evicting a dangerous tenant defended by the Multnomah County Legal Aid Service which was affirmed by the Oregon appellate courts. Hunter has represented various commercial landlords, including large malls in negotiating with and, if necessary, evicting commercial tenants.
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Estate & Trust Litigation
- Creditors’ Rights & Bankruptcy
- Real Property Litigation
Willamette University College of Law
J.D., cum laude, 1982
B.S., cum laude, 1979
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court (Oregon)
- U.S. District Court (Western District of Washington)
Hunter is a member of the Litigation and Construction sections of the Oregon State Bar. He is admitted to state and federal courts in Oregon, and Washington state courts. He is a past Board Member of the Board of Governors for the Oregon State Bar from 2011-2014, served as Chair of the Board of Governors Budget and Finance Committee in 2014, and a past President of the Marion County Bar Association. Hunter is also a Board Member of Con-Tech, Inc.
Off the Job
Hunter enjoys golf, skeet shooting, and fly fishing. Two recent marriages in the family and a new grandchild have kept him and his wife Jill very busy.